You are currently viewing our community forums as a guest user. Sign up or
Having an account grants you additional privileges, such as creating and participating in discussions.

Wipe Data / Factory Reset?

Discussion in '[ROM] Discussions, Guides, Tips etc' started by Spider, Apr 14, 2012.

1. Offline

Spider Forum Moderator

Message Count:
    Problem Diagnostics
    Ratings Received:
    +910 / 3 / -0
    Ok, lets discuss the option wipe data/factory reset found in clockworkmod recovery and used in wipe guides.

Wipe data/factory reset does NOT remove the old custom rom you are using prior to installing another rom.

Wipe data/factory reset does what the name says, it resets the current rom you are using back to its original state it was when you installed it, without the data you added, like your apps and personal data, contacts, APN settings, bookmarks etc, thats what it does nothing else, thats what the setting is for in clockworkmod recovery and in the phone itself, it does not remove the rom, so why do people include this in wipe guides is a mystery to me, because it doesn't wipe anything, it RESETS.

When you see the following

Wipe cache
    Wipe dalvik
    Wipe data / factory reset

Your not wiping anything, all you have done here is cleared the user caches, you aint wiped off no rom, dont believe me, then carry out the above and reboot the phone, you will find that the rom is still there, its just been reset thats all.

Ive never used that wipe technique to install a rom, no matter what the developer has reccomended, which is normally the easiest option, but not really the best option when it comes to installing roms.

You see it doesn't wipe anything, when you install your new Rom, your really just overlaying it over the other one, over writing certain parts of it.

Unless you format the system partition and system caches, you aint wiped nothing, there is only one way to carry out a proper full wipe, and thats the full wipe the correct way.

1. Boot into recovery
    2. Wipe the cache partition
    3. Go to advanced and wipe dalvik and batt stats.
    4. Go back to mounts and storage and format system, then data, then cache.
    5. Go back and install the rom zip file from the sd card.
    6. Reboot.

No need to wipe data/factory reset, the contents of your internal and external sd cards are untouched.

You can install any rom using the full wipe method above from recovery, and there is no need to go back to a stock base via Odin, you can go from GB to ICS or GB to Jelly Bean or ICS to Jelly Bean or visa versa, any combination you like, you wont brick your device, 100% safe.

Thats the only way to remove the old rom safely, and clean, when done this way everything is erased and formatted ready for the new rom.

Just thought i would point this out to people so they understand what is really going on and not being misled by what they read elsewhere.

So if anybody can tell me differently please come forward, i would like to hear from you.

Have a nice day

Spider...
    • Like Like x 7
  2. Ads Master

Ratings Received:
    +0 / 0 / -0
  3. Offline

sadiq New Member

Message Count:
    Ratings Received:
    +12 / 0 / -0
    Excellent article :) its amazing how many forums u c that wipe technique and sometimes they tell u 2 do it twice in a row, whats that all about then if it dont wipe anything, gr8 work there spidey
    • Agree Agree x 2
    • Like Like x 1
  4. Offline

Niterider New Member

Message Count:
    Ratings Received:
    +13 / 0 / -0
    Spider you have turned this on its head, your right i tried what you said and the rom was still there i honestly thought that it removed the rom i believed that all this time and it doesn't what makes me laugh is that what sadiq above said is true as well, so why do they tell people to use this in wiping if it resets the rom, don't make sence is it a old technique or something?
    • Like Like x 1
  5. Offline

Spider Forum Moderator

Message Count:
    Problem Diagnostics
    Ratings Received:
    +910 / 3 / -0
    No rider, its not an old technique, its just a technique thats misunderstood, it dosent do what it says on the tin, if you get my drift.

Spider...
    Latest Given Reputation Points:
    najjah: 1 Point (Good knowledge and willing to help. Good to have people like him here.) Jan 1, 2013
  6. Offline

najjah New Member

Message Count:
    Ratings Received:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    Hello guys. I know this thread is a bit old but it's kinda unique on the net so I'd like to ask you something.

Can I use this technique with a stock rom? I had stock on my GT-I9000B and installed CM9 (without wipe).

Now I wanna get my stock rom back and would like to do it after a full wipe.

Can I make the full wipe and then use Odin to install the stock firmware? Its file is in TAR format instead of zip.
  7. Offline

Spider Forum Moderator

Message Count:
    Problem Diagnostics
    Ratings Received:
    +910 / 3 / -0
    Odin will do any wipes necessary prior to installing the stock rom, so just flash from Odin.

Spider...